Re: synthetic oil?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: synthetic oil?
From: John McEwen <mmcewen@ualberta.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 10:33:53 -0700
Barrie:

You will have already read my earlier response regarding the use of paint
vs beeswax.  With a brand new body (newly dipped) I would use POR 15 in the
same manner as I suggested the tremclad - but first I would let the inner
parts rust a bit.  You are doing this now by leaving your body "in the
white".  Steel rusts immediately and continuously if it is not immediately
covered with a sealant/primer of some sort.  Modern body work calls for
various two-part primers or urethane and/or vinyl primers.  Check with your
body shop.  Note that these primers depend on the type of final coat you
are going to use.

I suggested letting the bits rust because POR 15 bonds better to rusted
metal than to clean.  It has to do with the chemical reaction between iron
rust and phosphoric acid which is used in the product.

You want something as near to permanent as you can get into the closed
spaces.  Don't fool with wax - use a modern chemical.

John