Re: synthetic oil?

To: Fred Talmadge <fredtal@industryinet.com>
Subject: Re: synthetic oil?
From: John McEwen <mmcewen@ualberta.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:39:19 -0700
it's obviously not necessary Fred if you don't have cold or hot weather and
don't really care whether your engine will run for any serious number of
miles.  Old Chevy trucks - of which I have 5 - don't really need anything.
Hell even re-cycled oils will work.  They'll all go 200,000 plus if the
bodies don't rot off before that happens.

I like to have mine start in serious winter.  I pull very heavy loads and
I'd rather do it with oil that is designed to handle extreme pressure and
high temperatures.  I also like the cost saving I get.  I only have to
drain synthetics every 25,000 km vs. every 6,000 on regular oil.  I figure
I'm actually saving money by using better oil.

It's worth some serious thought and some research as to the benefits.  All
of the info is available on the web so that anyone can make an informed
decision.

John