Re: Barkelys?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Barkelys?
From: Bob Sayers <bob.sayers@zetnet.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:04:52 GMT
The message <a04310101b62e61a210da@[10.0.1.13]>
  from  "Jeffrey H. Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu> contains these words:

> I'm watching Speedvisions's Legends of Motors Sports, "BRSCC 1957"
> and one of the featured races at the Brands Hatch August Bank Holiday
> races was a type-specific race of what the announcer called "the
> supercharged lawnmower race" comprised entirely of a car called a
> Barkely (sp?). They look a lot like a spridget front end and frogeye
> rear end.

> Has anyone ever heard of these cars?

Oh, yes, Jeff, but I'm afraid that it's "two nations divided by a common
language" time again! You have the pronunciation perfect, but the spelling
wrong  -  it's Berkeley (cue most of the list saying "how could that have
possibly sounded like Barkely?")

The Berkeley was a Lawrie Bond design, which speaks highly in itself.

They originally had a 322cc (that's cc, not ci ...) Anzani engine, which
was later replaced by a 328cc Excelsior, a 492cc Excelsior, and a 692cc
Royal Enfield (and I'm currently typing this about four hundred yards from
the former RE factory). It was produced in both 3 and 4 wheel versions.

My records show that the 3-wheeled 328cc version sold over 2,500 units
in 1959-60, the four-wheeled verions having sold 2000 in total.

Production stopped at the very beginning of 1961, I believe. There are quite
a lot still running in the UK, many of them having been retro-fitted with the
complete engine/transmission/subframe from a BMC Mini. Some years
ago a UK firm re-started production of the car with the Mini engine, but I
don't know if they are still available.

best regards,

Bob

--
Liege  -  the last great British sports car.
http://www.ashford-perf.com/Liege  and