Re: Lucas radios????

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Lucas radios????
From: Tim Dziechowski <timd@hitu.enet.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 11:25:41 EST
The OEM radio which came in my Midget was AM only.  It might even
have had vacuum tubes.  It always suffered from static and ignition
noises and stopped working altogether after a few years.

There's an interesting story involving this radio.  In the early '80's
I lived in Boston in a neighborhood best described as "frisky".  There
was an alley behind my condo where I could park the MG and see it from
my third floor back porch.  One weekend I was going to bed around 2AM
and heard some weird noises from out back.  Looked out the bedroom
window and saw a scruffy character prodding the trunk lock with a
screwdriver.  I ran out onto the back porch (in my underwear, and it
was Winter).  By this time the curmudgeon had the driver side door open
(I never locked it), and was obviously after my priceless dysfunctional
Lucas OEM AM radio!

I grabbed a flower pot from the porch, leaned over the railing, shouted
"Get your #$%^&( mitts off of that car!" and winged the flower pot at the
top, which unfortunately was up. It bounced off with a satisfying "thunk".
The head of an astonished would-be thief popped out of the cockpit and
looked up at me.  When he saw me brandishing flower pot #2 (pottery instead
of plastic this time), he shouted "Oh #$%^^!" and ran off.

By the time I threw on some clothes and got downstairs with a baseball bat,
he was nowhere to be found.  So SOL'ers, guard those Lucas radios well,
'cause you never might know when someone might be after yours.

And if you ever own a '79 midget with a dented top frame, blame it on the PO.

timd@hitu.enet.dec.com  (Tim Dziechowski - '79 Midget)