Re: 80 MGB

To: creichle@mednet.med.miami.edu
Subject: Re: 80 MGB
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 1995 11:13:15 -0500
>     I recently rebuilt my engine...

       I still get a little
>     leaking (can see water stains on side of engine). Any suggestions? I
>     have used three different torque wrenches three head gaskets... I feel
>     like the problem is most likely the rough surface on the head done by
>     the machine shop. Did I get screwed on the resurfacing?
>
>     Chris
>     creichle@mednet.med.miami.edu

Chris -

I've had the same problem on several MGBs and noticed it on alot of others.
A Leyland mechanic-friend tells me most of them "seep" between 2 & 3 right
over the number plate.  However, if you get spray on the oil filter,
distributer, spark wires, etc - that could be a bit much.  Are you sure
it's not coming from the heater control valve?  I've had better luck with
stock gaskets - and ' confess to using a bit of that Permatex brown
aviation stuff.  On the other hand, when I've had heads resurfaced, they
did come back pretty smooth-looking.

' Hope this helps.

Allen

Allen H. Bachelder, Associate Professor of Trumpet
                                         =iii=<
Department of Music, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA 24061-0240
E-mail: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu, Phone: 703-231-6713,  Fax 703-231-5034