80 MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, creichle@mednet.med.miami.edu
Subject: 80 MGB
From: creichle@mednet.med.miami.edu
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 08:39:47 EST
     I recently rebuilt my engine. I had the head shaved a little to
     increase compression and two seats replaced. When I got the head back
     the mating surface to the engine deck was kinda rough... like a file.
     You could see the cutting grouves. A friend told me that this was due
     to the fact that they used a course stone to cut the head since I was
     taking a bit offthe head. He assured me it was ok...

     I installed a new copper head gasket and it leaked coolant all along
     the distributor side and oil from the transmission side. I re torqued,
     changed the studs and nuts, retorqued and it still leaked. Finally,
     against my own will I sprayed some copper coat on my third gasket,
     assured by another friend that that would do it. I still get a little
     leaking (can see water stains on side of engine). Any suggestions? I
     have used three different torque wrenches three head gaskets... I feel
     like the problem is most likely the rough surface on the head done by
     the machine shop. Did I get screwed on the resurfacing?

     Chris
     creichle@mednet.med.miami.edu