Stop me before I kill...my Triumph!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Stop me before I kill...my Triumph!
From: laplante@unirsvl.rsvl.unisys.com (Bryan LaPlante x7140)
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 94 18:04:30 GMT
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 13:01:23 EDT
From: laplante@unirsvl.rsvl.unisys.com (Bryan G. LaPlante)
To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Stick on Front Calipers on MGB

I had this happen on my way to and from Road America many years ago... from
Minneapolis.  I had noted that the brake fluid was down a bit, searched around
the
garage and found some fluid and topped off.

Whatever *was* in the car, and whatever *was* in the can didn't agree with one
another.  After several frustrating days of driving (it would eventually release
the brakes), the two fluids were found to have produced what can only be
described
as 'phlem'.  The phlem would clog the port in the master cylinder and when
things
warmed up the fluid would try to expand, causing the pads to rub, causing the
calipers to get warmer, causing more expansion....

It sounds like you have a similar problem, but since you have a new master
cylinder
I bet that your clog is in the lines (especially since you said the rears were
difficult to push fluid to the rear cylinders).

I can appreciate your problems since I've now replaced everything except the
lines
in my '67 B.  I even had rear cylinders fail after only 1-2 years!

Lesson learned?  FLUSH THE SYSTEM.  Keep putting alcohol through it until it
doen't pick up any more crud.  Change brake fluid every 3 years (even if the
shop
does it, it is way cheaper than calipers!).

Bryan G. LaPlante,  laplante@rsvl.unisys.com
Unisys
Roseville, Minnesota