Re: Stop me before I kill...my Triumph!

To: (British Cars)british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stop me before I kill...my Triumph!
From: "Roger Garnett" <@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 1994 14:35:25 EST
> ...merits of the 215 cu inch Buick

> I have looked for other pre-1965 lbcs to put the engine in but have been
> unsuccessful.  Is there another pre-65 lbc that the engine might better
> fit?

I can name 2 British cars the Buick was used in in the early 60's.

1) Lotus 11. Yes, really- an 11 with a Buick engine was raced and crashed at
Watkins Glen around 1961. But, this was likely an Owner mod, not a factory
job.

2) Somewhere from 2 to 4 of the 44 Warwick GT's (Later version of Peerless
GT) were fitted with Buick 215's in 61-62, with an eye towards production, in
the spirit of the Cobra, and later the Tiger (and even more so, the TR8).
I've got a picture of one being tested at Goodwood, and a record of one at
Sebring (62 or 63). Unfortunatly, the company folded before it "took off".

The Gordon-Keeble was designed with the same basic chassis, and a Corvette
engine. They were more successful, and produced 99 cars.

There is one known remaining Warwick GT V8, still undergoing restoration
down in Virginia, and another car in England that was converted back to a TR
engine.

If I didn't have the original TR3 engine for my '58 Peerless GT, I might
consider dropping my Rover V8 in there...

You could also drop one in an MGB, but the later cars are easier to do...

      Roger Garnett           (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."