Re: Jag XKE restoration

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Re: Jag XKE restoration
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@Vela.ACS.Oakland.Edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 09:01:50 -0400 (EDT)
I'll have to disagree a teensy bit with TeriAnn; $12.5K may not be too
unreasaonble for an e-type kit.  A lot depends on what the stuff looks
like.  If there's a lot of new replacement sheetmetal, the original
stuff was repaired properly, all the bits are there, etc.  Interior
kits run around $1500, the top another $400 (who needs a top anyway?).
Paint $4K minimum if you have someone do it ($6K would probably be
better).  See if the engine turns over.  If it's froze up, forget it.
Expect to put in at least $12-$15K before it's over (and that's
probably low - I tend to be optimistic about these things)

Not to be too picky, but did you say *A* winter's project?  Would you be
doing this full time? :-)  Assembling an e-type is not something you
do over a couple of weekends.

Jag parts are expensive, but you can buy almost anything you'll need.

I don't think you can get an e-type roadster for under $25K.  If you
pay less than that, you'll end up making up the difference in parts.

I bought my kit for $3.5K (it was the only e-type that would stand
still long enough for me to buy it :-).  A new body cost me $10K
(that's everything new except for the firewall) and there are still
a lot more parts to go (eg, brakes, diff, suspension, etc. etc.)

On the bright side, if you put it together yourself, you'll know what
kind of car you have.
--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (810) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
               (e-mail)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu