Re: New Disease

To: wzehring@cmb.biosci.WAYNE.EDU
Subject: Re: New Disease
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 06:45:02 PDT
Will,
The new disease you describe has already been identified to TeriAnn Wakeman
as "Restorer's Malaise".  Sorry to hear you have it.  Additional symptoms are
the
feeling that you're not skilled enough to do the rest of the work required or
fear
that something bad  will happen, like a nasty scratch in the paint while
installing
the rear bumper.  It's really the fun part - just take your time!

A good friend is stuck at the same 2/3 point with his 1972 TVR: chassis done,
engine done and installed, painted body on, most details ready to assemble.
He was wise enough to ask for prodding ("Keep a fire under me" were his
actual words) and I have obliged often, although without measureable success
to date.

I have suffered from The Malaise a couple times, usually recovering by slowly
reviewing the progress-to-date in the photo album and repeating the mantra:
"What a great car this is gonna be..." to myself many times.
When you recall how much of the work is already done, it's easier to continue.

BTW, how *IS* the TR3 progressing, TeriAnn?

George Haynes
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive: the *next* restoration...