Re: SU FUEL PUMPS

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.WAYNE.EDU>
Subject: Re: SU FUEL PUMPS
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 14:03:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 2 Aug 1994, Chris wrote:

> >My Healey has a brand new SU pump. If I leave it for a week without
> >driving it I have to bang it a good one to get it going EVERY time. Looks
> >great in the parking lot  and crawling under a Healey is hard for
> >SNAKES to do!
> >
> >I have cleaned and gapped the beast to no avial. Any suggestions?
> >
> >Chris
> >triumph@io.org

and Will responded:

> My brain is storming!  What about a pool cue?  One or two nice thumps with a
> well chalked cue should do the trick.  You might even make it (the cue, that
> is) out of genuine re-cycled steering wheel wood; very British, don't you
> know?  Now *that* might draw a crowd!
>
> Will "long gone" Zehring

Hmmm...  A pool cue sounds more American brute force than the subtle
solution truly worthy of an LBC.  Particularly a Healey.
May I suggest the following.  Install a turn signal flasher, thusly:

"Hot" battery terminal--->SPST switch--->flasher input||flasher
output---->12V solenoid taken from a doorbell (type with spring loaded
internal plunger).  Arrange the plunger so that it strikes the fuel pump
when current flows through the bell coil.  When pump refuses to pump, turn
on the switch.  The doorbell plunger will rhythmically hammer on the pump
until it starts pumping.

I suppose you could easily rig it so that the signal that turns on the
ignition light when the alternator or dynamo stops charging also activates
the flasher/doorbell solenoid assembly and hammers on the pump, on the
design assumption that the pump must not be pumping if the dynamo has quit
dynamoing.  I myself would prefer the control of the manual system,
despite the attraction of automating this function.

An in between solution would be to disconnect the flasher to flasher
warning light circuit, and connect that to the solenoid.  Then the
solenoid would hammer on the pump whenever the turn signals were
activated, on the assumption that the hammering won't hurt, and might
help.  The noise of the hammering should replace the turn signal warning
lamp nicely.  If the car won't start in the morning, simply signal a
turn.

Ray "signalling that he's gone 'round the bend" Gibbons

                Dept. of Molecular Physiology & Biophysics
                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910