Mini questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Mini questions
From: sga1@ukc.ac.uk
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 14:05:42 +0000
I'm looking for carb suggestions for my 1275cc Mini. It's got a 1275 GT block
with a gas flowed Cooper head (std valve sizes). I think that the GT came with
HS4s is standard form but I was thinking an HS6 would be more appropriate.
Trouble is I'm on a budget and HS6s aren't very common (compared to HS4s) down
the scrapyard. Could I get two HS4s and make up my own linkages etc to make a
twin-carb? Has anyone else done (or tried) this. The problem I can see is that
the float chamber will be on the 'wrong' side on one of the carbs but I haven't
been able to look at one 'on the shelf' so to speak to see if this will really
be a problem.

Can I get an HS6 from a different make of cars? I seem to remember reading that
SUs were used on volvos too.

Whichever carb I get I suppose a spell on the rolling road is in order to select
the correct needle and ignition timing.

In a similar vain my '66 850cc only has an HS2, would it be beneficial putting
a 998cc head and HS4 carb on or will I run into problems with needle selection
and timing? I don't wan't to put a larger engine in for my own reasons.

My 850 is also noisy in neutral especially when I put the clutch down - worn
idler bearings? The gearchange is of the magic wand variety (direct to the box)
is it possible to change the gearbox for a newer one still keeping this
gearchange set up?

While I'm on the subject, the Mini has hydrolastic suspension but when I got it
pumped up the front wouldn't come up to height (without getting silly on the
back)
The bloke at the garage (a good garage aswell) suggested that the front nuckle
joints had worn down. There is quite a large difference between front and back
so I thought it is more likely to be old and worn rear helper springs, any
suggestions (apart from changing to dry)?

Thanks in advance

Steve 'brakes seem fine to me' Adderson.