MGA starter problems...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA starter problems...
From: "Paul Tonizzo, Finance& Ops. IM&T, DTN 631-7107 23-Mar-1994 0810" <tonizzo@trooa.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 94 05:09:21 PST
        I'm hoping someone here can help me out with a starter problem
        I have on my MGA 1600:

        I rebuilt my starter back a few months ago and it bench tested fine.
        I put the starter back on the car and tried it out by using jumper
        cables from my other vehicle (has a new battery) to both the ground
        strap (+ve) and to the starter solenoid switch (-ve).  When I pulled
        the solenoid, the starter had a real hard time turning over the engine
        and eventually wouldn't turn it over at all.  I then noticed a small
        puff of smoke coming from the back of the starter (Yikes) and it
        stopped working completely.

        I pulled the starter off again and had a look.  Everything looked fine.
        I cleaned the brushes and put it back together and it worked again.
        (on the bench - Hmmm) Now I figure maybe the winding in the armature
        is bad so I switch the whole armature for one from my parts car that
        looked OK.  The starter worked real well on the bench (again).

        I then thought it might be a grounding problem so I cleaned up the
        strap and the point where the starter connects to the tranny so it had
        a good mating surface.  I then put the starter back, hooked up the
        jumper cables again but this time the ground (+ve) was connected to
        one of the starter bolts (to rule out a bad ground wire).  Essentially,
        the same thing happened. I stopped trying it so that I didn't
        completely kill the starter - but I did see the small puff of smoke
        again (sigh).

        Anyone have any ideas?  Maybe I should take the plugs out and see if
        the starter still has as hard a time turning the engine.

        A friend suggested that the jumper cables have a great loss of
        amperage due to the connectors on them.  Would this account for the
        small puff of smoke because there aren't enough amps to turn the
        motor so the brushes get burned?

        Thanks for any help,

        Paul