more misfiring

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: more misfiring
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 94 10:23:34 CST
Hmmmm, interesting.

Just talked to a brit. mech. in Peoria (the one whos shutting up shop)
and he sugested an interesting fix to my distributor problem. He said that
the internals are always worn on these distributors, so what he does
sometimes is to weld the advance mechanism into position, and do away
with the vacuum system! Mega PO fiddle.

The 1275 needs a max. of 37 degrees at full advance
(This comes from the advance supplied by the dizzy, shown by number
stamped on the breaker cam, a number 10 thru 18, this is doubled because
the  cam runs at 2x crank. The remaining advance comes from the timing notch
adjustment). With  the diz. internals  welded in place, one simply finds
the 37deg. point on the pulley wheel, and times to that point.

I think I got all that right from memory...but I'm not quite sure how it works.
Surely there will be running problems at lower speeds? Is this a dodgy fix....
he backed up his theory by saying that pre-69 Midgets had no vac. system
and thats how it worked back then.

Marcus