Re: Beer Can, etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Beer Can, etc.
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 1994 08:58:53
> > It may sound chincy, but I have had the greatest success securing
> > gaitors (and CV joint boots for that matter) with wire.  Choosing a
>
> I'd be a little concerned about the wire cutting through the rubber.

If you don't overtighten, this should be ok. About the best wire to use for
this kind of stuff is "saftey wire", as used on race cars, airplanes, etc.
It's stainless steel or some such, and won't rust and look ugly.

[leaking rack]
> > your life rosy.  It would seem only too easy to remove the covers and
> > make a gasket from generic gasket material, or to seal them up with a
> > sealant.
>
> It's hard to tell from the outside, but the plate seals looked more like
> metal shims than gaskets.  Maybe one you 'B owners out there knows.

Yes, there are shims under the top plate of a BMC steering rack gearbox-
they are used to adjust the gear engagement/damping. Removing any would
tighten up a loose rack (but I've rarely seen these robust racks need that
done). But, there shouldn't be enough oil in the rack to leak out past the
shims, which are at the top of the whole works. There is a fibre gasket
under the plate that covers the end of the steering shaft and bearing which
could leak.
   ________
  /     _  \    Roger Garnett             (Roger_Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \   Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |  3 Warren Hall            | "The South Lansing Centre
| |   ||   | |  Cornell University       |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
 \    ||__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!