Re: chattering noise in TR4

To: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies) (Adrian Jefferies)
Subject: Re: chattering noise in TR4
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 93 16:12:04 PST
> net result is that the heater in my TR4 is getting overwhelmed causing
> it to pump out cold air.

Well, maybe it's the same kind of heater my Healey had.  Totally
inadequate anywhere outside of a Sahara-like climate.  The only use I
ever found for it was supplement (ever so slightly) the radiator
cooling when the car overheated.  Overheating was generally a continuous
problem during the VERY hot summer months in the San Fernando Valley
where I lived at the time.  Needless to say it got mighty hot inside.
This was my major complaint about the car until I spent a winter in
upstate New York.  Then I was sticking bits of cardboard in
front of the radiator, changing the thermostat and everything else I
could think of to warm it up.

> I learned to solder with a butane lamp & copper piping and made up those
>bizzare
> "S" shaped pipe parts to feed the heater unit. It aint a pretty sight ...

Sounds like you spent your weekend pretty much the same way I spent
mine.  The weekend before I had connected the heater hoses up to my
freshly re-cored heater.  Unfortunately no more heat seem to come out of
it than before the connection.  Checking the hoses I found that the one
going in was warm and the one coming out was cold.  Since I knew the
heater wasn't clogged, I started checking the plumbing outside.  I
pulled all the heater hoses off and removed the heater supply control
valve.  One of these hoses connected to the valve and the other to a tee
in a tube going between the radiator header tank and the water pump.
The tee in the (aluminum) tube was clogged with corrosion and
crystallized coolant.  I tried clearing it with a screwdriver but all I
managed to do was poke holes in the corroded walls.  So, like yourself,
I had to solder up a new tube ("C" rather than "S" shaped) from copper
plumbing bits.  I also replaced the hoses.

The valve turned out to only be partially opened.  Fortunately it was
still in good condition and only required a little wire brushing and
WD-40 to get it to open fully.

Boy do I have heat now!

Roland