RE: mgb oil pressure problem

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: mgb oil pressure problem
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 93 23:54:42 EST
>1. What should I expect for oil-pressure out of a fresh motor? I am
>   seeing 10-15 psi at idle and 50-60 psi at 2000rpm. I am using
>   straight 30wt. When the motor is warmed up and the engine is at
>   idle the pressure drops to 10psi.

First off, use a multigrade oil. If your local temp stays over 30F during
the cold months, use 20w/50. Else use 15w/40 or 10w/30 if in the extreme
frozen north. But that aside, this oil pressure reading sucks. A new engine
should never see below 40psi, and should blow off the pressure relief by 2K
rpm, about 70 psi.

>2. There also is about a 30-45 second delay before I see any movement
>   on the oil gauge when the engine is first started. This seemed a
>   little slow to me.
>3. I also noticed that when I am running the engine at 2000+ rpm
>   the gauge reading isn`t steady. The gauge reading bounces between
>   50-60psi. It seems to bounce with a fairly consistant cycle.
>
>4. Do these symtoms sound like a bad oil-pump? I have already
>   replaced the pressure-relief valve just in case it was the
>   problem.

I've seen symptoms 1 and 2 three times in 15 years. One of these was the
absolute worst backyard rebuild I'd ever seen. Std. bearings with a .020
crank; cam bearings installed with a log splitting wedge, etc. The other
two were rebuilt fairly well, except for one small, devious detail. Having
read a ways ahead in the digest, TeriAnn hit it. The gasket kits for the
"B" series engine come with gaskets for every rendition ever built. This
includes two oil pump gaskets. The five main "B" engine (67 should = 18GB)
take a different gasket than the three mains. In both cases, the builder had
put the three mainagasket in there. This leaves the suction side of the pump,
which is open at the top of the pump, only partially sealed. If you did the
engine, look in the remaining gaskets for the other one for the pump. The
three main one is roughly triangular. The five main gasket has the same bolt
pattern, and pump stem hole, but has a large, open, teardrop" off one side to
seal in the suction opening.

 As far as item #3, it may be another symptom of the above. Or, it could
be worn cam bearings or rocker shaft. Worry about it after fixing 1 and 2,
assuming the symptom still exists.

   Randy
    randy@taylor.wyvern.com