'70 MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: '70 MGB
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt@sccs.swarthmore.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1993 19:08:35 -0500 (EST)
I tried this last Friday, but the message was eaten in the mail slip-up.
Here goes again.

A little background, first.  I'm 19 years old, and I'm a Sophomore in college.
(Did y'all know that sophomore is Greek for Wise Fool?  I feel kinda silly
calling myself one.)
When I was 15, I bought a '70 MGB roadster for $350.  It hadn't moved in at
least 6 years, it had been sitting in somebody's backyard all that time.
Several squirrels were rather irate that I stole their home. The big
difficulties were getting the electrics working.  New battery, rebuilt starter,
distributor (eventually installed an Allison electronic kit that was lying
around the garage; no problems there) etc.

Anyway, after 6 months of knuckle-bashing-lying-on-the-cold-concrete work, it
ran.  Four years (and more work than I care to think about) later, and it's in
pretty damn good shape.

Anyway, I have a few questions for the SOL crowd.
1. The damn thing burns oil. A quart every 100 miles or so. (rough approx.)
In how much trouble am I?  What are some things I can check?
2. What kind of fuel consumption can I expect from a Weber DCOE 45?
3. What advice can you give me vis-a-vis that support strut which the
Special Tuning manuals suggest that one fabricate for sed Weber?
4. How high ought one rev a B?  I've seen (for a *real* short time) 6500 or so.
My Dad is into ohc I-talian cars, so his advice tends toward high numbers. What
do you think?
5. I have trouble starting it in the morning.  The first shot on the key? Well,
only if that first "shot" lasts ~20, ~30 seconds.  Once it's warmed up, it
runs like a dream, and re-starts are no problem.
6. After the re-spray, the first 3 of 4 windsheild bolts were easy.  What's your
advice on #4? (for the record, the front one on the driver's (lh)side)

Hmmm...
I'm sure I'll think of more later ;^)
Many thanks.
Peace,                             Go Reds!  Smash State!
Matt                            matt@sccs.swarthmore.edu
  ===
 |O-O\\ I say unto you: one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to
|| L || give birth to a dancing star.-Freidrich Nietzsche,Thus Spoke Zarathustra
|| o || The purpose of art is not to reproduce the visible, but to make visible.
||\_/|| -Paul Klee
||   ||