Rebuild surprise and questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars)
Subject: Rebuild surprise and questions
From: Jim Brannan <jbrannan@hprpcd.rose.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 93 8:38:37 PST
I think the net ate my first message I sent Sunday night, so here's
another cut...

First some interesting info... The motor was pulled and completely
disassembled this weekend and now the block and assorted pieces
are at the machine shop.  Eventhough the motor had 150lbs compression
prior to the tear down, none of the pistons had an intact top ring!
Three were shattered and one could not be found!  Sleeves "look"
good.  One water hose was completely blocked with gunk.  Looks
as though I'll need the cam built up and reground.

Questions:
1. There was some gasket sealing crud used on just a couple of gaskets
   (valve cover, pan, timing cover).  Are just the gaskets not good
   enough?  Recommendations for the added sealing agent?

2. What did the blob of crud look like that was (PO removed) on the
   timing cover as a sound deadening enhancement?  I read somewhere
   that this should not be removed. Should I put something back?

3. Exhaust manifold paint: will any paint hold up?  I can't spring
   for nickel plating it.

4. The bolt (half threaded near head, rest smooth) that goes in the
   shaft on the transmission that actuates the clutch (locks the
   cast piece that has forks that moves the bearing on the trans
   shaft) is broke off inside. How the hell do you get it out?
   Do you have to cut the clutch shaft and get a new one?  I
   saw in Haynes (or was it in a MOSS catalog) that this bolt does
   break and there is a stronger replacement available. The issue
   with removing the piece that is in there is that there is no
   access to the bolt hole as the shaft can't rotate far enough.
   All I can think of is to cut the $35 shaft to get it out.

Jim Brannan                                             (1966 Red TR4A)
Rocklin, CA
wk: 916-785-4776,  hm: 916-624-9318,  email jbrannan@hprpcd.rose.hp.com