Re: Tire Rack

To: timd@ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
Subject: Re: Tire Rack
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1993 08:51:48 -0600 (CST)
Tim Dziechowski writes >

> Anybody dealt with (Tire Rack)?

They seem to be pretty good.  I bought my first set of autocross Yokos
from them and had no problems.  My buddy Bill ordered autocross Yokos and
wheels from them.  There were some screwups in his order, but they made it
right.

> This year I'm doing my own plowing for the first time, and I'm looking
> for the Ultimate Light Truck Snow Tire.  Worst case is I need to plow
> 1/4 mile, uphill, on ice (if I get home from work after an ice storm).
> If any Artic Circle (or even Northern Temperate) SOLer's have tire
> recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

I don't have specific tire brands to recommend, but in general, you want
the largest diameter, narrowest tires you can get away with.  Do not let
anyone sell you wide jumbo-mudder tires.

Are studs legal where you live?  Where do you live?  We don't get a lot of
snow here, but it is the coldest major metropolitan area in the Lower 48.
Since all the public works departments (including my employer) are
incredibly trigger-happy with the salt, this is the rust capitol of the world.

What kind of truck do you have?  I don't know what newsgroups or mailing
lists are available for this except for:

land-rover-owner-request@stratus.com or lro-request@stratus.com

Good luck!

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans St, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105  w (612) 266-6244    phile@stpaul.gov
"Europa drivers are laid back"