Re: Re: Tire Rack

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Tire Rack
From: Paul Tonizzo _DTN 631-7107 03-Nov-1993 1632 <tonizzo@trooa.enet.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 93 13:33:34 PST
        Have you ever tried to remove frozen pistons from an MGA dual brake/
   clutch master cylinder?  There's nothing to grab onto so unless they are
   only slightly stuck, there's no way to force them out.

   Here's a method I used to free mine up that worked very well.

   1. Fill the reservoir with enough penetrating oil to cover the bottom of
      the reservoir.  Let the whole thing sit for a few days.

   2. Remove the piston cover and tap each piston with a flat punch to check if
      the pistons will move at all.  If the pistons won't budge, soak for a
      longer period of time in the penetrating oil and try moving them again.

   3. Use a 5/16" tap to tap threads into the piston holes (where the pedal
      pushrods go into).  Then screw in a grade 8 bolt into one of the pistons
      and tighten down.

   4. Then clamp the bolt in a vice and tap the master cylinder with a hammer
      to extract the piston.  (Tap on the piston bore side.)

   5. Repeat the process on the other piston.

        I used this method with excellent results - the best part of all is
   that the pistons are not damaged in any way.  Hope this helps someone else
   out.

        Paul