Re: Jensen-Healey help....

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jensen-Healey help....
From: Bob Tufts <rbt@itc.Kodak.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1993 10:13:00 -0500
>From Kazuhiro IGETA:

907 is based on Vauxhall unit as the old twincam head atop Ford's.

I saw a little in the book "LOTUS TWINCAM ENGINES" written by Miles Wilkins.

907 has been mounted on most of the modern Lotus:
Elite, Eclat, Excel and Esprit.

Therefore, new parts may be found easily if not cheap.

About the Vauxhaul: The 907 is Lotus' own design. In the early stages of
developing the engine Lotus found that they could bolt the 907 head onto
a Vauxhaul block -which helped speed up the design work as the 907 block
wasn't ready yet. It was not intended to borrow the design from the Vauxhaul,
it was just a convenient coincedence which they took advantage of.

There are lots of people who sell Lotus original (and aftermarket goodies) for
the 907 engine. (goodies like stroker kits, cams, Dellorto carb's etc).
If you copy an early Esprit parts manual (or any of the 2.0 liter Elite or Eclat
manuals- just not 2.2 liter) you'll get the Lotus part numbers.

Vendors like Dave Bean (CA), JAE (CA), RD Enterpises (PA) and Daytune (England)
are common places where people shop for this stuff (to name only a few).

We have at least one (if not more) people on the Lotus newsletter who are quite
experienced with Jensen Healey 907. To join send a request to

lotus-cars-request@netcom.com

and Alan Perry (the administrator of the list) should reply with the details.

BTW: I often see complete used 907 engines in the Lotus ReMarque or Hemmings
Motor News for $1500 - $2500. If you want to spend the money you can get
around 200 hp out of a 2 liter and 220 (or more) out of a 2.2 liter engine
(that's normally aspirated). People tweak Turbo Esprit's to over 300 hp (I've
heard closer to 400 on the Le Mans cars).

It all depends how crazy you wanna get!

-Bob T.