Re: Winter storage

Subject: Re: Winter storage
From: rodb@ee.ubc.ca
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 92 11:04:41 PST

> Gerry (gerry@probe.att.com) writes:
> > I NEVER will put my car up for winter storage again, I did this about 3
>years
> > ago and spent almost 1 week during spring time trying to get the car going
> > again. The main problems were :
> > [ a lot of nasties listed ]
>
> I came across a little article in an issue of Car Collector a while back about
> a new product that looked interesting. It was basically a rip-n-read press
> release that appeared to have been printed verbatim, but nevertheless seemed
> a good idea. Essentially some outfit manufactured really huge plastic bags
> which you opened up and rolled the car into, then tossed in a couple of those
> moisture-absorbent chemical packets and taped the bag shut. That's it. When
> properly sealed, it kept moisture out, and sealed in odors of leather and
> what-not that could appeal to rodents. Seemed like a neat trick to me. Anyone
> out there tried it? Sorry, I forget the name of the company.

It would be pretty easy to do this yourself with some 6 mil poly vapour
barrier (about $14 for a big roll around here) and duct tape.  The
advantage would be that you could just lay it on the floor, then roll
the car onto it and tape the whole thing closed.  The desiccants are
available free just by collecting them when your computer equipment
arrives.  I got a couple, brand name SORB-IT (they say they are 4
units, whatever that means), and they have instructions on how to
reactivate them (16 hours at 250F).  I personally would use an old
toaster oven for this task.

I am planning on finishing insulating my garage to combat this very
problem.  Although I can easily heat it up to over 60F when it is below
freezing with just a little 1000watt heater, the temperature swings are
causing condensation on the cars and various metal pieces.  Once I
insulate the walls I will but one of the oil-filled heaters (no exposed
elements) and set it to 50F. --rod.

--
Rod Barman, Dept. of E.E., University of British Columbia
rodb@salmon.ee.ubc.ca