Re: Email illegal?

To: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com
Subject: Re: Email illegal?
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 3 Dec 1992 13:56 EST
>> Well it seems someone decided to do some stupid things and got caught
>> with their shorts down and their rear hanging out in the breeze.
>> Security and management (or was that manglement?), being what they
>> are, have decreed that e-mail and/or mailing lists for
>> non-professional reasons are _illegal_.
>> ----------------------------------
>Just a bit of semantics here:  it's only illegal if there's a law
>against it.  Last time I checked, the USA was still a representative
>democracy.  E-mail (or anything else) is illegal only if it violates
>a law.  Examples would be pornographic or classified material.  "How
>do I rebuild my SUs" doesn't pass the duck test here.
>
>Just because some bureaucrat decrees that it's illegal doesn't
>make it so.  Now, it may violate corporate or agency rules, which is
>completely different, especially when the corporation or agency is
>paying the bills.  But illegal?  I think not.

I think that was what was really meant here.  It has been determined by
the users employer that the non-corporate email is a violation of their
policies.  Illegal was probably just a bad choice of words.

Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
Note - If email replying to me with an automatic addressing process
bounces, manually address the resend using one of the addresses below.
Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com