Re: Re: British Wrench Sizes

To: ian@Centric.COM
Subject: Re: Re: British Wrench Sizes
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 92 09:49:06 pst
> From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
> To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
> Subject: Re: British Wrench Sizes
> Date: Thu, 12 Nov 92 21:58:12 PST
>

> George_N_Haynes.Wbst207V@xerox.com writes:
>
> >One of the British wrench sizes (I can't remember which at the moment - maybe
> >both) refers to the BOLT DIAMETER, rather than the nut size across flats.

Not Whitworth apparently; I've yet to figure out what the sizes mean.
The original 5/16" diameter master cylinder mounting bolts on my snake
were 1/4 W.  Where possible I've been replacing the W fasteners with
either SAE or metric, depending on which was the closest match.  In some
cases the W threads were equivalent to SAE so the substitution was easy.
This was the case for the bolts holding the Girling brake caliper halves
together.  But the bolts holding the calipers to the hubs were specially
machined for this purpose so I had to reuse them.

> >Regardless, it's just one more eccentricity associated with our lbc's.  BTW,
> >many of the wrench sizes associated with hydraulics on my MGA are
> >still British Standard (Whitworth).  Apparently it took longer to convert
> >Girling and Dunlop than the main MG assembly plant!

Virtually every body and chassis fastener originally used on my snake
was a Whitworth size.  About the only exceptions were the sheet metal
screws and pop-rivets.  Snakes are pop-rivet city.  My car was
manufactured in late 1963 but apparently Whitworth fasteners were also
used on 427 Cobras.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com
CSX2282