crankfire

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: crankfire
From: gerry@probe.att.com
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 92 12:27:39 EST
Tim writes::::
>> Can anyone supply a lead on a crankshaft-timed ignition system
>> usable on a Spitfire?  Where would the sensor go, underneath the
>> timing cover against the timing chain cogs?  I'm converting to
>> propane, and want an ignition I can program easily.

I believ WeRace in Or sells them for Midgets (so maybe Spitfires as well).
When I looked into this I found that they were expensive ($800). I haven't
looked recently so the price may have changed.
>From what I remember they is is a sensor on the crank pulley, and the
pickup attaches to the timing cover, although I have see others where
the sensor & pickup are attached to the flywheel.
Of all the Midgets I have seen run at National SCCA level, they all
had crankfire ignition systems. The neat thing about them, is that
on the "black" box there are 3 or 4 adjustment screws, for changing the
timing, amount of advance, etc.

Gerry