58' Bugeye Question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: 58' Bugeye Question
From: Richard Hofsheier <hof@scic.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 92 16:58:12 -0800
   I'm in the process of completing a ground-up restoration of a 58'
   Bugeye Sprite, and ran into a problem that I hope someone can help
   me with.   Actually, I've ran into more than one problem as you can
   imagine, but was able to resolve all of them to date, with the exception
   of this one.

   The front grill on the Bugeye mounts to the bonnet with a number of
   posts located on the grill. One of the posts on the very upper part of
   the grill goes into an elongated hole on the surface of the bonnet,
   the remainder of the posts go into holes around the front oval opening
   of the bonnet.

   The grill I have (which most likely came off of a later model) doesn't fit.
   The distance between the lower edge of the elongated hole and the front
   lip of the bonnet where the metal wraps around is approximately 2 1/4
   inches on my 58", and 2 inches on a later model bonnet (60'). The grill
   fits the later model bonnet.

   Following is a stab at a figure showing where I've taken the measurements:

                                  _
                                 / \
                                 | |  Oval Cutout
                                 | |
              ________________   \_/
               / \
                !
                !
               \ /
               -------  *******************  Front upper lip of the bonnet
                                             where it wraps around

   Neither bonnet appears to have been damaged or modified, at least
   in the area of question.

   So, before I go and move the hole down a 1/4" to make the grill fit. I'd
   like to know if there was a change in the grill/bonnet between
   the early and later models? In fact, any advice on this problem would be
   greatly appreciated.

                     Thanks in advance

                                        Dick