Jaguar XJ6 (III), Fuel-Tank flush and Filter mods?

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Jaguar XJ6 (III), Fuel-Tank flush and Filter mods?
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 92 10:11:54 WST
Last week-end I changed the fuel filter in the boot of my XJ6.  When
I started it up and went to stick my head in the boot to look for leaks
I noticed my (electic) fuel-pump was screaming merrily away.  Looks like
the bearings are shot :-(  As I will be making a 1000 mile trip at
christmass time I want to replace it before it packs-up. It may be of
interest to some to know that here in australia the Bosch replacement runs at
$195 US, the "original" Jaguar part (which looks suspiciously like a Bosch
pump with a "Lucas" sticker on it all covered over by a large "Original Jaguar
Part" sticker :-) is about $390 US!  Anyhow the Bosch pump is a good pump so
that's ok.

Now what I am writing about is that it may be I should clean/flush out
my fuel tanks before I replace the old pump with the new.  I have both
the Haynes and the Factory service manuals for the XJ6(III) so I'm not
totally in the dark.  Just if anyone has any handy hints about this job
I'd like to hear from them.

As the Jaguar fuel system looks some thing like this...

              |--+-->L Tank----|
           |--|                +-X--Pump---->Filter---->Fuel Injection
           |  |--+-->R Tank----|                     |
           ---------------<--Fuel Return--<-----------

I thought it may be a good idea to install a filter between the tanks and the
electric pump (at X) that way my pump will never be hassled by crud in the
tanks again (if that was the original problem, which I doubt).  Unfortunately
the pipe into the pump is about 1/2" diameter while the outlet and thus the
normal filter fittings on the output side is about normal fule-line diameter
approx 1/4".  So the question is, is there a fuel filter with 1/2" fittings
floating around somewher in the world?  Has anyone else done this? Will
attempting to improve on Jaguar design invoke the wrath of the Gods of Browns
Lane?

Thanks in advance
Regards Scott.
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.      Perth [32S, 116E]-->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ-6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.