Re: Arnolt-Bristol....

To: WHITEMAN%IPFWVM.BITNET@CC.UTAH.EDU
Subject: Re: Arnolt-Bristol....
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1992 10:42:37 -0500
"S.K. Whiteman" <WHITEMAN@IPFWVM.bitnet> writes:
> I don't know if this will be grist for this mill or not, but I've been
> interest in the Arnolt-Bristol since I first ran across one in 1964.
> The ownership of one of these cars has alluded me to this very day;
> but the rumor that I'm presently working on is only a year old. At
> any rate I would be interested in any information that I might be
> able to get pertaining to this car, its construction, racing
> history, technical info, current number in existence, current prices,
> existence of a club, parts availability, etc....etc.

Sam,
        I tried to look up the "Arnolt-Bristol" in my "The Complete
Catalogue of British Cars" (1974) and was surprised that I couldn't
find it listed anywhere.  I've never heard of an Arnolt-Bristol, but
since you seem like you know something of them, I concluded there
_must_ be one.  Its not like the Catalogue to not have a reference
for one though.

        There was an entry for Arno and Arnold, but no Arnolt.  So
I decided to look under Bristol, the next logical step.  Lo-and-behold,
there _is_ a reference to a 1953 Bristol 404 Arnott sports car.  Note,
the Catalogue spelt it with "tt", not "lt".  The Catalogue could be wrong,
since it is the only occurrence of the word.

        There is no textual reference to the "Arnott", nor a picture
(Bristols pictured are 403, 405, 406, 406E, 407, 410, 411, but no 404!).
There is a column of specifications though:

1953 Bristol 404 Arnott sports car:

        6 cyls, 66 mm bore 96 mm stroke, 1971 cc capacity, ohv valves.
        Compression Ration 9.0, 130 bhp @ 5500 rpm.  Water cooled.
        3 Solex carburettors.

        Wheelbase 8' 0.25".  Track 4' 6".  Length 13' 8".  Width 5' 3.5"

        Suspension: Front; independent transverse leaf.  Rear; torsion bar.

        Weight 18 cwt (2016 lbs).  Top Gear Ratio 3.9.  Tyre Size 5.50x16.

        Maximum Speed 110 mph.

Well, thats all I have.  Hope it helps!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert