Re: MGB tech questions

To: tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu (Timothy Lyle Smith)
Subject: Re: MGB tech questions
From: nigel@socs.uts.EDU.AU (Nigel Pearson)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 92 9:50:19 EST

> >Q. Does the plastic fan draw more air than the metal one?  If I decided to
> >   try one, will the plastic fan interchange with the metal one with the
> >   same fixings??
>
>   I used a metal fan from a parts car while waiting for a new plastic one.
>   The fans bolted on without a problem.  Don't remember any overheating
>   with the metal fan.

        I remember in one of his tuning books, David Vizard mentioned that
the blades on a plastic fan are usually aerodynamically shaped, which makes
them a little more efficient (in both air and noise volume). The problem
is that plastic ones aren't strong enough to turn the motor over with,
whereas the metal ones sometimes are (well, at least on some of my minis
they were).

--
    Nigel Pearson, research dog's-body @ University of Technology, Sydney.

   AARNet: nigel@socs.uts.edu.au       Talk: (Sydney) 330 1799, fax 330 1807
   Hardcopy: Nigel Pearson, SOCS, UTS, PO Box 123, BROADWAY, Australia, 2007