re: sparkplugs (fwd)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: re: sparkplugs (fwd)
From: Bob Spidell <spidell@hpcc01.corp.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 15:36:51 PST
On the subject of "indexing" spark plugs:

>>plugs and put them in the spark plug holes, such that the line ends up
>>oriented away from the inlet valve.  It may take a few tries, swapping
>>plugs amongst holes until you have an acceptable position for each.
>
>Morso and a couple of other TRS manufacturers sell copper washers with
>thicknesses "calibrated" in terms of degrees of rotation of a sparkplug -
>I got a box of these, and it makes indexing a lot easier...

I can't see how this indexing does any good, unless the idea is to
"douse" the electrodes with the mixture.  After all, the intake valve
has long since closed by the time the plug fires, making the orientation
of the side and center electrodes irrelevant.  Can anyone elaborate on
the supposed benefits of indexing the spark plugs?

Regards,
Bob