Re: Clanking Car

To: british-cars@hoosier, lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: Clanking Car
From: Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 92 14:29:24 PST
       >Dare I drive this thing? Would a failing U-joint be easy to spot?

My GT6 had a clunk in the rear for the longest time, I could only hear it when
making a left turn and going about 20mph or less.  I figured it was a U-joint,
but I looked under the car twice, up on jack stands.  Wiggled and jerked
the axles and driveshaft every which way but it all looked tight.  I drove it
for about 6 months and it finally got worse.  Checked everything again, the
axles still seemed tight, but I spotted a cracked end cap on the axle U-joint.
Replaced it and no more clunk.  Of course, once I waited too long on an old
Road Runner I had and the driveshaft fell out 3 in the morning on the way to an
after hours joint with a lady in the car no less.  Needless to say, I never
heard from her after that....

Mike G.