Strange oil consumption

To: "british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu"@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: Strange oil consumption
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder - lesnyd@monsanto.com - (314)694-3626)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 92 15:59:28 -0600
Twice now I have experienced an unusual oil consumption pattern in my
TR250. If the oil level is at the full mark, it will drop down around
a quarter every several hundred miles. But if it get down to the quart-low
mark, it seems to lose oil VERY rapidly, sometimes surprisingly so.
I've had two occasions where it was a little less than a quart low,
and all of a sudden (it seems; probably 250 miles) it's more than two
quarts low! It's hard to explain, and I don't know exact figures since
this has sneaked up on me.

Is there some peculiarity about the innerds of the engine that causes
oil to be burned or blown by or something much more severely if the level
drops to a certain point?

I'm just curious, since I have no intention of letting it get more than
half a quart low again.

Thanks,

Larry