Re: This list

To: uunet!hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: This list
From: pacdata!dave@uunet.UU.NET (Dave Ambrose)
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 92 23:49:20 PST
>I am seriously considering making this list digest only.  It is my
>contention that doing so might cut down on a lot of the useless banter
>that does little more than aggravate those looking for real information.

>A drastic step, to be sure, as in the old days the useless banter was a
>big part of the charm and appeal of this very forum.  But the volume is
>getting to be overwhelming, and I can't think of any other options at the
>moment that would maintain the intent of the list and improve things.

        Perhaps it would help to define the problem.  Pardon me for being
ignorant,  but aside from a political diatribe which I didn't see, I
can't find a severe problem.  However,  I only resubscribed about a week
ago.

        There have been a large number of messages.  Paint colours, in
particular,  seem to generate much heat,  but little light.  Miata
discussions seem to have a similar property [Mommy,  he used the
M-word! :-)] This has always been true.

        For handling the mail volume,  there are some alternatives.
first (and best?)  have the news admin unpack the mail list into a local
newsgroup,  like alt.sex.british-cars,  and use TRN to sort through it.
I don't have it here,  but did at my last site.  Works great!

        I have also been told that mush will handle the sortification of
incoming mail messages.  Source should be on the way and I will let
interested parties know how that works (unless someone's already done
it).

        There are solutions,  including some measure of self discipline.

        Just my 2 pence.

        Dave Ambrose

"Those who know me well,  usually deny it."