Re: anti-sway bars

To: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Subject: Re: anti-sway bars
From: miq@wv.mentorg.com (Miq Millman)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 93 13:18:14 PST
Ian asks some more questions about his anti-roll bar.....

You have just discovered what is called "bump-steer."  This is when 1 of the
wheels goes in a different verticle motion than the rest of the car and the
car then gets forced to turn in the appropriate direction.

If the front wheel is lifted, the car will have a tendency to turn away from
that side, if the wheel drops then it will turn towards that side.

In Car Zero, my Solo II and now FP road race sprite, there is only 1 7/8
turns lock to lock.  The car also has a humongous anti-roll bar, which
fortunately has been modified to correct for bump-steer.  Unfortunately, this
modification is not always enough, and on really bad roads (like the
fairgrounds in Pleasanton) the car would zoom all over the place as I would
hit bumps and holes.  Needless to say this is not always a good thing.

You probably don't want to worry about it since the benefits of having an
anti-roll bar greatly outweigh the disadvantages that you may encounter due
to bump-steer.  Besides the fix is usually ex$pen$ive trick racing $tuff.

--

Miq Millman       miq@wv.mentorg.com         miq_millman@rainbow.mentorg.com
Mentor Graphics 8005 Boeckman Rd, Wilsonville OR 97070  503 685 1492   C2148