anti-sway bars

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: anti-sway bars
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 93 11:35:44 PST
Oops, how'd that extra 1 get in there?  The AddCo replacement is 7/8" not
1 7/8".  Big but not ridiculous...

OK, so the bar resists one side's vertical travel by attaching it to the
other side with a big torsional spring (the bar) mounted to the body?

I can see how this would help in the cornering/roll situation, but what
about normal independent suspension travel?

Suppose you ran one wheel up on a curb and the rest were on the ground?
Or the opposite, one wheel goes in a hole and the rest are level?

I'm having trouble grasping how bolting the two sides of an independent
suspension together is always a good thing.  Hep me hep me!!

Fortunately I have no shame and can admit when I'm clueless.  But I bet
I'm not the only one who doesn't understand anti-sway bars...

--ian