Re: Roadster Religious Wars

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Roadster Religious Wars
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1993 10:22:33 CST
Jim Beckman (jeb@mtqua.att.com) writes:
> I always thought that the term "roadster" implied no side windows.

Hey, why doesn't someone call The Roadster Factory? Maybe they know! :-)

> What really makes me laugh is seeing a big Oldsmobile in the parking lot,
> with the elaborate fake convertible top, fake laundau irons, and fake wire
> wheels, with a chrome label on the fender proclaiming Roadster.

Nope, that's the CO's (Current Owner's) fault. (Couldn't be a PO; nobody
would buy something that stupid-looking.) The "Roadster" emblem is an after-
market stick-on sold to mouth-breathers in low-rent auto parts stores. Other
titles in this fine series include "Street Rod", tastefully crafted in huge
chrome script.

The fake convertible top and landau irons are the fault of the dealer (not
necessarily an Olds dealer), who accepted money to glue this goofy top on.
The fake wire wheels are probably courtesy of K mart.

Car & Driver had a great photo (in an article titled something like "Top Ten
Stupid Car Accessories") showing a similar monstrosity, with a caption reading
something like, "The dealer calls this a '$1500 custom landau half-roof'. Ima-
gine what a whole one must look like."

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473