Engine and gearbox vibration/noise

To: @auschs, @ibmchs.UUCP, @cs.utexas.edu.UUCP:british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Engine and gearbox vibration/noise
From: bcarter@gama.austin.ibm.com
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 91 10:48:58 CDT
I still haven't seen anbody mention U-joints.

Scott writes:>
    2) Get up to speed on an open road without other cars/noise.  Put the
    car in neutral and let the engine idle down to 1000 rpms.  Steering
    wheel still shaking?  Hear nasty noise?  That would lead me to believe
    that your tires are out of round, or brake rotors, or suspension
    problems, but the engine/trans may be ok.  If the car shakes in
    neutral at speed, I would get my tires balanced, and a front end
    alignment, which is a cheap solution!

It could also be U-joints. Does it clunk in any fashion?
Does it changes when going up and down hills?
They do cause nasty noises and they will cause a horrendous vibration.

Or am I all washed up and the and this car not have U-joints?

Bruce...