Re: frozen speedo?

To: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Subject: Re: frozen speedo?
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 12:11:33 PDT
>Its accelerating when coming out
>of a traffic block that leaves me at a disadvantage to the
>Porsche 944 & 911s, Nisson 300ZXs,

Uhhh...

Now, I *love* my MGBs.  I think they're some of the finest
pieces of machinery ever to drip Castrol on a garage floor.
I love 'em so much I'm planning to take one around a race
track next year and I'm so excited about that I can hardly
sleep nights.  I *dream* about passing people under late
braking into 11 at Sears Point (and trying to hold them
off at the exit).

But I'd have to admit that all the cars you mention have
about twice the horsepower of even a fine, stock MGB with
minimal smog and a good recent rebuild.  (Of course, they're
not quite twice as fast because most of them also weigh
half again as much.)  And since horsepower is no respecter
of skill, passion, or sentiment, a car with lots of horsepower
will accelerate better uphill than a car with a little
horsepower, no matter how plucky or wonderful the smaller
car might be.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to push
the skinny pedal down a little farther.

In any case, you've picked some fairly lofty targets for
an MGB, TeriAnn.  If you're serious about outdragging
300ZXs and 944s, I'll sell you my race motor at the end
of next year.  Of course, you'd better save Chris Kent's
list of stations that sell 108+ octane gas...

Or if you *act quickly*, you can buy a 1963-1/2 Ford Falcon
Sprint that will suck the paint off any naturally aspirated
300/944 up to about 90 mph.  (I'm going home to show it to
a buyer who's coming from Sacramento.  I *told* you low-lifes
it was a special car! :-)

--Scott "As I was motorvatin' over the hill..." Fisher