Re: Rotoflex on GT6

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Rotoflex on GT6
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!ssiwest!young@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Indi)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 09:37:16 PDT
>From: Iain McWilliams <ssi!ames!garp.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!uunet!inmos.com!mcwill>

>I've heard it is possible to replace the rotoflex without removing
>the hub by taking the metal band off the new rotoflex then easing
>the (now slightly floppy donought) over the 'Y' prongs. The hard part
>is in retensioning the donought to get the bolts through. G-Clamps are
>supposed to work. Normally the metal band is left on until the bolts are
>fixed.

        Mitch ended up making his own hub-puller outta four feet of metal
        rod and a u-clamp type thing.  It worked fine, but now both ends of
        the metal rod have twenty degree bends in them.  Strong back spring!

>However should you decide to split the hub,
>be prepared to shell out for a replacement outer driveshaft. Seemingly
>it is quite difficult to apply just enough pressure to pop the hub without
>poping something else as well :-(

        Nope, didn't have to split the hub.  :)  But, now that the rotoflex
        couplings are replaced, the alternator went out.  Errrr.  :(

        indi (Cathy Young)         |"ssiwest!young"@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
        Supercomputer Systems, Inc | or: uunet!ssi!young
        Livermore, CA              | (415)373-8044