Hi pressure tank for air doors

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Hi pressure tank for air doors
From: Jon Garruba <jgarru01@longisland.poly.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:59:32 -0500
> >There will be DOT issues with the tank and its location.  High pressure
> >tanks are a bit dangerous in a wreck so placement is critical.  I will never
> >forget my SCUBA class in 1974 where they showed the explosive potential of a
> >2,500 psi 74 cubic ft. tank.
   What exactly is the explosive potential? Is shrap metal going to be
flying through the gas tank or my head if the tank is ruptured?

> >On last thing, of course, is that when adding
> >pressure from the larger tank to the smaller, each time it gets more and
> >more inefficient (transfers less and less volume) with the lower available
> >pressure in the large tank.
  I don't think that's a problem.  I regularly fill the car tank from an
Air tool compressor in which the tank is at 200 psi. and this take
approx 20 seconds to charge the car tanks to 130 psi. This is an
insignificantly small pressure differential when compared to a high
pressure tank at approx. 2200 psi. By the time the pressure differential
gets small enough to make a difference it will be time to refill the
tank anyway.

> >Have you tried Tanner's expensive compressor?
> >Although it is a bit of an overkill for me, for you it might be a better
> >alternative. Kim
  No. never heard about it? know any flow ratings by any chance?
approximate fill times?