Re: Hi pressure tank for air doors

To: jgarru01@longisland.poly.edu, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hi pressure tank for air doors
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 17:11:45 PST
> > >There will be DOT issues with the tank and its location.  High pressure
> > >tanks are a bit dangerous in a wreck so placement is critical.  I will
>never
> > >forget my SCUBA class in 1974 where they showed the explosive potential
>of a
> > >2,500 psi 74 cubic ft. tank.
>    What exactly is the explosive potential? Is shrap metal going to be
>flying through the gas tank or my head if the tank is ruptured?

It is not a shrapnel kind of explosion, like in the first movie of jaws.
What it involves is a propulsion of the tank itself.  The pictures that I
saw showed a tank that blasted through a steel trunk, through the air, then
through a concrete wall.  The reason for the photos was the inception of the
VIP (visual inspection program) for the 74 cubic ft steel tanks.  This was
before the now common aluminum tanks and there was a problem with those
tanks rusting from the inside. Kim