Re: Compressed Gas for Air Doors

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compressed Gas for Air Doors
From: Jon Garruba <jgarru01@longisland.poly.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:49:12 -0500

"John T. Blair" wrote:

> I think I have to agree with Kim.  While it may be cost effective and
> possible,
> I don't know where you'd put the tank.  I also don't understand what the
> problem is with the electric compressor.  Maybe that is where we should
> start.
  First, I have a strange system, different than most others. So I was
told. It was done by a man who lived in Maine, who passed away recently.
I'm sure others have more info than I on that subject.

I do not have tanks in the bumper. I have two tanks connected to one
another on either side underneath the car behind the seats. I do not
know the volume of these. I believe "the air board" is similar. 4
solenoid valves. but only regulators on the air release valves. I added
a pressure gauge for the tanks to the console behind the parking brake.
I have an electric compressor located on the inside of the car behind
the passenger side tail lights. It is a manufactured by "Grover
Products" of Los angeles. The pump is rated to 100 psi and has a shut
off switch. Its tucked neatly behind the interior trim piece.  I also
have a valve stem located behind the license plate that goes though a
one way valve to relieve pressure from it. I'm not exactly sure what
most of you are using so I figure I'd describe the whole thing.

When fully charged to 102 psi the drivers door operates about 3 times
perfectly then starts to droop. I get about 6 openings before its a pain
in the ass to get in and out. The passenger side works much better.
approx. 12 openings. I'm sure part of my problem is a worn cyl. If I
have 2 people in the car and run a few errands with a couple of stops in
quick succession the doors go flat.  from the point where the doors are
a pain in the ass till fully charged takes about 25-30 minutes with the
electric compressor. Is this normal? slow?

 you using one of the little compressors that plugs into a cig.
> lighter to fill tires, I understand your concern.  If you're dealing with
> one of the better compressors, I don't understand the problem.  Have you
> thought about trying to find one of the vacuum compressors and adding that
> to assist the electric compressor?
  No haven't thought about a vacuum compressor.  Never liked the idea
much.

 > If you system is leak free, the accumulator at the rear bumper should
be
> able to hold a charge to open the doors for several weeks.
  Completely leak free I left it for about a month in October. when I
went to use it again the doors were almost if not completely charged.

> If this is more for emergencies, why not look at getting one of the 30 gal
> propane tanks and the conversion kits and have a portable air tank.
  I'm not familiar with what your talking about. how big are the
portable ones?

> Finally, I just check the master database of cars, and I don't have your
> email address listed.  If you would, would you please send me you name,
> address, phone #, Vin#, when you purchased you car, and from whom for
> the database.  I have over 1800 records of cars that we know of.  Yours
> may be a new one.
  Been on the list since feb. fortunately my car has been working well!
  516-681-4721
  Jon Garruba
  2 West Court
  Bethapge, NY 11714-2224
  Vin# 842

  purchased the car feb 1, 99 from Hank ???? (sorry)