Re: Ever try this for panel screws and other ?'s

To: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ever try this for panel screws and other ?'s
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:17:55 -0400

>The sheet metal screws that hold my interior panels in place seem
>strip out the holes very easily.  I went to my local hardware store
and
>bought some nice stainless 10-24 screws, nuts and washers to
replace
>them with.  My plan is to epoxy the nuts behind the oversized
holes, run
>a tap through it to get rid of any extra epoxy, and slip those
machine
>screws in there.  Has anyone else done something like this and what
do
>you think of my chances for success?
============
Not something I would want to try. What's going to hold the nut in
place while it sets? Why not use nut inserts? these are threaded
barrels that you tap into the existing hole? Or instead of screws,
use colored snap in plastic trim pins to more or less match the door
panel.

>Also, I am still thinking about the head gasket and wonder whether
>anyone has a time estimate on doing that job and how much of a
hassle it
>is (on a 351).
Obviously this would depend on your level of expertise and what
tools you have. As repairs goes, not much hassle unless you have
problems with frozen bolts on the exhaust system (probable).

GM