Re: Ever try this for panel screws and other ?'s

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Ever try this for panel screws and other ?'s
From: "S.G.Schiro" <gschiro@qsky.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 11:04:20 -0500
There are several makes of "rivnuts", all pretty much the same design.
We use these extensively in our business which involves mounting various
electronic devices in commercial vehicles.  The rivnuts are excellent,
though in applications where vibration is a problem, we generally use
some semi-locking Locktite as insurance.  To install rivnuts ( we buy
ours from Lawson Products ) you need a tool similar to that used to
install pop rivits.  They are available in a range of sizes including
screw size 10-32.  When installing in thin sheet metal, it is usually
better to get the rivnuts that have a diamond pattern on the barrel as
these resist spinning better.  They aren't suitable for mounting in
plastic, though you can use them to attach plastic to metal with a
suitable screw with either a large head or a washer.  Collared washers
are available that give a nicer finish.

George Schiro