RE: Does 74 out perform 75?

To: "'bricklin@autox.team.net'" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Does 74 out perform 75?
From: "Olenick, Jamison" <Olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 12:16:09 -0500
Guys,
   I am not sure why everyone wants to say that the gearing in the 74's
was taller than in the 75's.
   If the rear end ratios are 3.15:1 for the 75's and 3.54:1 for the
74's then the 75's have the taller ratio.  As for overall ratio i find
it hard to believe that a 4 speed manual has taller gearing than a 3
speed automatic (especially if the cruising rpm in the 75 auto is less
than the 74 4spd.) and therefore the 74 should have a low overall
gearing and a definate advantage in 1/4 mile times (but may run out of
gear for top end)
   A shorter gear will be faster than the taller gear (as long as it is
not too short).  (The 3.54:1 w/4spd should not be too short.)
   Assuming that the 74 had more horsepower and better gearing (and
should have been approximately the same weight) it really should have
been much faster (in the 1/4 mile and on the roll but maybe not top
end).
   If the 75's were really faster there must have been a real
shortcoming of the 360 AMC motors like a very short torque curve or no
horsepower after 4400 rpm (as mentioned below).  The Windsor appears to
have a good torque curve from the numbers below.
   Note: 75 - 284 lb-ft @2200, 185 hp @3800, pulls to 5000 rpm
            74 - 315 lb-ft @3100, 220 hp @4400, does not pull after 4400
rpm.

   I am not biased as i have a 75.  Of course it has not seen the road
in over 10 years.

                                                Jamie

*       Jamie Olenick                    olenick@ssims.nci.nih.gov
*       "I'd rather be rich than stupid"  J.H.