Re: Does 74 out perform 75?

To: "thomas m. benvie" <tbenvie@bu.edu>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Does 74 out perform 75?
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:55:52 -0500

'74s have 3.54:1 per R&T test. Windsor torgue: 284 @ 2200rpm.

>I got this info from a 75 Bricklin sales brochure and the 74 AMC technical
>Service Manual. do not know what the 74 Bricklin had for a rearend ratio,
>but  the 3.15:1 would have been the AMC car line rear for an automatic, and
>3.54:1 for the standard.  The 351 Cleveland Ford engine with a 4 bbl is a
>very potent engine, as was the Boss 351, but the 2bbl 351 Windsor was just
>a run of the mill engine,

Yes, from the Granada/Monarch.

 and more often than not replaced with one of
>Fords other powerplants by serious racers, such as the Mustang guys.
>
>I find it hard to believe this Ford engine would outperform the AMC (in
>spite of my AMC biases).  If I remember correctly, the 360 Javelins were
>running low 14 second quarters,

R&T ('74) 17.8 @ 82mph / 1/4 mi. Top speed 111.

 while the 351 Windsor Mustangs were mid 15s

C&D ('75) 16.6 @ 83.6mph / 1/4 mi. Top speed 118. In acceleration the '75
was a clear winner from over a second @ 30mph and maintaining the gap, and
them some, all the way to 90mph. The main problem besides slightly taller
overall gearing for the '74 was it wouldn't pull past 4400rpm (for whatever
reason), while the '75 would pull to 5000rpm.

>(and with a 4 bbl)
>
>If you really want to improve a 74, all AMC blocks from 290-401 are exactly
>the same, just a different bore and stroke.  The cranks are different from
>72 up due to AMC using the Torquflite trans (which is way better than, and
>replaced, the Borg Warner AMC used for 71 and before.  This is the same
>tranny Ford called the FMX, and used in 75 Bricklins).  So find a 401
>engine (even in Jeep Wagoneers), cylinder heads from 70 360 or 390 4 bbl
>engines, or 71 360 401 4bbl engines. These are high compression (10.2:1)
>and very big valves.  The AMC guys like the Edelbrock Torquer intake, and a
>Holley no bigger than a 750.  The free flow exhaust manifolds used on the
>Bricklins are just as good as headers.  There are all sorts of cam grinds
>available.  The 727 Torqueflite tranny made by Chrysler, used by AMC and
>Bricklin, has numerous hop up items available.  AMC rearend ratios are
>available up to 5.00:1.  The stock brake setup is adequate for these
>modifications.  I have a stock 69 AMX pulling low 13s, and a factory Super
>Stock car capable of low 10s, high 9s, and a Funny Car...well, I don't know
>yet.  My plan when I owned #323 was to do the above mods.
>
>Anyone with AMC questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks for the info.

GM