RE: Fw: CA Special Alert

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Fw: CA Special Alert
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrclem@telocity.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:16:04 -0700
Charlie,

However, if every person exercised his rights I don't think the fines could
ever be raised enough to compensate. I suspect that even the $800 to $1000
you suggest would not be enough to pay for the time of the muni court
personnel, the city attorney, the multiple judges, the police officer, and
other people and procedures that are required when anybody exercises his
right to fight his ticket. Raising the fines even higher would make the fine
for speeding -- in most cases, a mere infraction -- much greater than the
fine for many more serious crimes. The fines would have to be so large that
no elected official could advocate them (and stay in office).

Idealistically yours  :)