RE: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers

To: <pethier@isd.net>, <mark@sccaprepared.com>,
Subject: RE: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers
From: "Haden, Bruce" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:23:40 -0800
I'd love to hear the input of the Snell Foundation on this.  This memo
essentially implies that the impact protection of the chin area of
closed
helmets is less than zero.  I have an extremely difficult time believing
this.

Have there been any incidents of air-bag deployment while the driver was
wearing a helmet?
Which kind of helmet?
What happened?

A Couple years ago in San Diego, a Z06 hit a k-rail head-on hard enough
to move the barrier 10-11 feet back (est. weight 8000lbs).
Don't know what kind of helmets; I wasn't there.
Air bags deployed. Only injuries (2 people) were bad bruises and
soreness
from the harness belts.

There has to be some data available at HQ to shed light on this. I still
think that common sense says it is a bad idea.

COMMENT; In most classes, we wear full harnesses of some type which hold
us back from the SRS area. It seems to me that if this is a problem, it
would only be so in stock class where, I BELIEVE, they are required to
wear the stock belts. Feel free to correct me if that is incorrect; rule
book not handy at this time.  ;^)

        Bruce