Re: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>,
Subject: Re: Potential new helmet rule would affect autocrossers
From: "Chuck" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:19:47 -0500
So as I understand this, SCCA is probably going to force a lot of Solo
participants to buy a new (and some would say LESS protective) helmet
because an EXPERIMENTAL airbag designed to reduce injuries to F1 drivers
hitting a wall at 200+ mph with their face directly in line with the
steering wheel "MIGHT (my emphasis) cause a jaw fracture" !?!?
WTF? How does that translate to AXing a stock street vehicle where a
(reasonably deduced) much less powerful airbag of a totally different design
may be deployed in line with the driver's CHEST in a 60 mph incident. Why
didn't they ask Tasha what happens in that case, I don't remember her having
any jaw injury complaints???
Unless they can show actual case(s) where jaw injuries were the direct
result of a passenger car airbag contacting a full face helmet in SCCA
competition, IMHO the person that came up with this should be sent out to
the truck to check the equipment for next season because they DEFINITELY
have too much time on their hands.